Edited Arriere Pensee Chapter 1

by Ashleigh Brown

[b] Hope this is better thanks to everyone who reviewed it.

IT was that cold unforgettable winter’s day. At the time I was seventeen, just starting my junior year. I remember driving home and seeing the police cars parked out front. I quickly cut the engine of my 09 red Mustangs and slowly stepped out. My whole body was shaking, not from the cold but from the fear of the questions I could not answer; deep down I knew the answer that something was terribly wrong. I walked up the stone pathway that I knew very well, and I continued to move forward towards the porch. As I came closer I notice the door was cracked open, which is something my dad never does; my pulse began to speed up so much that I could feel it pounding in my head. My body begged me not to go forward, but fear of not knowing was pushing me forward. I ease slowly towards the front door and heard a man sobbing violently inside; emotions flooded over me as I raced to open the door. When the door opened it revealed the man crying, there he was sitting on the dusty brown couch, my father. Along side him sat two officers; the one on the left of him was heavy set with short dark brown hair, and the one on the right was fair size and bald. They both stared at me with sympathy.

“Dad, what’s wrong? Where is mom?” I pleaded. He looked at me and just stared with those glistening green eyes.

“H-hhh,” He stuttered.

“Where is she?” I demanded.

“Honey, there was an accident and you’re….” He suddenly erupted into body racking sobs he tried to say something else, but nothing came out.

The heavy set police officer stood up instead, “Miss I am officer Matthews, and unfortunately your mother was in a fatal hit and run accident. We pursued to catch the driver but he got away. We are very sorry for your lose and my condolences are with you.” Tears were rolling down my cheeks and my heart was pounding intensely, and suddenly my vision started to lose focus. Then the noises and everything else started to seem as if it were miles away, after that it all blanked away.

When I woke up I saw three blurry faces surrounding me, and a faint voice calling my name. The noises around me made my head pound.

“Genevieve, its dad are you alright? Can you hear me?” I slowly regained consciousness, but when I saw the police all the emotions from before came back.

“Dad is mom really gone.” I said barley whispering

“Yes,” He said.

“No she is not! I don’t believe it, your lying!” I screamed, my head throbbing from the outburst; not caring I took off for the door and ran till I was out of sight.

After walking for a while I arrived at a park and stopped there to rest. I reached my hands in my pocket for a bit of warmth, only to find my pink Nano ipod; I quickly put the plugs in my ear; hoping to let it was today’s events away. When I cut it on it resumed playing.

The sun was hidden in the sky; I figured three hours must have passed by. I thought about calling my dad but the thought made me repulse. Why my mom? Why not him? I need her so much more than him, who am I to go to when I need advice about boys or whose going to stay up with me when things are rough. I felt so much disgust towards my father simply because he could not fill the hole in my heart; I refused to call him, and I started the journey back home cold and more alone than ever.

It took me an hour to find my way back home. I climbed up the porch once more and took a deep breath and turned the knob to go in. The house was almost pitch black the only thing giving off light was the TV set. I looked at the couch and sitting there wrapped up in a purple quilt sleep was my dad; over looking him as I climbed up the stairs to my room. Unhurriedly I open the door and looked around the room, everything reminded me of her. I then broke down and cried myself to sleep.

*♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥*

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:52 am
Young gun wrote a review...

This was quite good to read.

The choice of writing such a simple but serious topic was really nice.Anyone who would have been through the same as your main character can surely identify with the story to some extent.

Here are some of the really great lines that you wrote:

My body begged me not to go forward, but fear of not knowing was pushing me forward.

Unhurriedly I open the door and looked around the room, everything reminded me of her. I then broke down and cried myself to sleep.

Keep such good work coming.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:27 am
Linx wrote a review...

Hiya Ashleigh! I haven't read anything of yours, and I thought that this might be interesting. :D

IT was that cold unforgettable winter’s day.

Typo. The t in it is not supposed to be capitalized.

I quickly cut the engine of my '09 red Mustangs and slowly stepped out.

You want to put the apostrophe before the 09, because it isn't the year 9. It's 2009.

As I came closer, I notice the door was cracked open, which is something my dad never does; my pulse began to speed up so much that I could feel it pounding in my head.

Don't forget the comma, hon. Also, great sentence. Loved it.

I eased slowly towards the front door and heard a man sobbing violently inside; emotions flooded over me as I raced to open the door.

You switched tenses here. It's supposed to be in past tense, and you put it in present. It's supposed to be eased, not ease.

When the door opened it revealed the man crying, there he was sitting on the dusty brown couch, my father.

This is one awkward sentence. It would probably be better if you changed the last comma to a colon. It's a great way to build up tension, you just did it the wrong way.

“Honey, there was an accident and you’re….”

It's your, not you're. :wink: It's okay, hon.

He suddenly erupted into body racking sobs he tried to say something else, but nothing came out.

This is a run-on sentence because you forgot to seperate sobs and he into two seperate sentences.

When I woke up, I saw three blurry faces surrounding me, and a faint voice calling my name.

I slowly regained consciousness, but when I saw the police, all the emotions from before came back.

“Dad is mom really gone. Comma, not a period” I said barley whispering Missing something here

One, you are missing the punctuation at the end of this sentence.
Two, it's supposed to be a comma for the dialogue punctuation.
Three, you mis-spelled barely. I just spelled it right.

The sun was hidden in the sky; I figured three hours must have passed by.

Since it is a couple of hours afterwords, it would be better to seperate the parts. You can do that with a line or the little stars :arrow: ****

Missing Commas - This happened throughout the whole post, but I didn't point out all of them. You need to watch out for them. It's okay if you do mess up sometimes. That's why we are here to point them out.

First Paragraph - It is a long paragraph. Very long. Seperating it into smaller paragraphs would be a good idea.

On the actual story - I thought it was really good idea. It is one of those stories when you just want to sit down and cry afterwords. I know you have more you are adding to this, so I am going to see what else you have written.

Good job!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

*Cat

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:14 am
Lauren2010 wrote a review...

First, this is good. I haven't read any other parts of this story or the pre-edited version of this chapter but it's a good beginning in general.

There weren't many glaring issues but there were a few gramatical things near the end.

"I reached my hands in my pocket for a bit of warmth, only to find my pink Nano ipod; I quickly put the plugs in my ear; hoping to let it was today’s events away."

yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe rewording it would help. The biggest problem was "..hoping to let it was today's events away"

and there was one other big one

"I looked at the couch and sitting there wrapped up in a purple quilt sleep was my dad; over looking him as I climbed up the stairs to my room."

your tense changed in here and it is confusing. "over looking him.." should probably be something more like "I overlooked him..." to make more sense.

good work overall though =)

I don't have much knowledge about marsupials.
— ForeverYoung